Ozone (Major Autohemotherapy)
Major Autohemotherapy (MAH) is an ozone-based treatment where the ozone is introduced into the body via an intravenous infusion. The benefits to MAH are very similar to the benefits of other ozone therapies (the power of oxygen hyperlink) and include:
Balancing of the immune system through natural chemical messengers in the bloodstream. When the immune system is off balance there are several health problems that can emerge such as:
- Autoimmune conditions
- Chronic infections
- Poor wound healing
- Chronic inflammation
- Chronic fatigue
Decrease in inflammatory response. Inflammation can manifest in multiple different ways including:
- Joint pains
- Muscle soreness
- Poor sleep
- Hair loss
- Low sex drive
- Anxiety and depression
- Digestive problems
- Chronic pain
- Skin problems
- Urinary problems
Increasing the body’s production of energy (ATP). There is a special part of the cellular machinery called the mitochondria that is responsible for the production of energy. Some cells have more mitochondria than others, and some mitochondria are more efficient at producing energy than others. When our bodies have decreased mitochondrial function we are affected at every level. Below are just a few examples:
- General: fatigue, weakness, insomnia
- Nervous system: anxiety, depression, cloudy thinking, irritability, poor sleep, memory loss and dementia, Parkinson’s
- Musculoskeletal system: chronic aches and pains, poor exercise recovery, osteoporosis
- Skin: dulness, sagging, poor wound healing, aging
- Digestive system: inflammatory conditions, chronic abdominal pain, poor nutrient assimilation,
- Urinary system: chronic irritability and discomfort, chronic infections
- Respiratory: asthma, propensity to illness, allergies
- Immune: chronic illness, autoimmune dysfunction, cancer, inflammation
- Endocrine: hormonal imbalances, decreased vitality, accelerated aging
How is autohemotherapy performed?
- Blood is taken from a vein. There is a wide variety in the amounts used by different people and it can range from 60ml- 250ml.
- The blood is diluted in saline solution to facilitate its reinfusion back into the body.
- Ozone gas is then added to the blood-saline mixture
- The blood is then reintroduced back into the body
How long does it take?
This is quite dependent on each individual and can be affected by how much blood is used, how big the veins are, and how easily it flows back into the vein. On average we tell our patients to plan on 30-60 minutes from start to finish.
What can I expect after treatment?
While some of our patients notice increased vitality immediately after a treatment, it is quite common to feel nothing or even have an increase in fatigue or inflammation for 24-48 hours while the body is shifting gears and turning on its own regenerative and healing capacities.
How often are treatments needed?
This varies by individual and is highly dependent on health status, condition being treated, and other logistical factors (i.e. patients coming from out of town, scheduling, etc). Generally we recommend starting with a minimum of 5 treatments, spaced 2-5 days apart from each other, and going from there. Many patients prefer to continue monthly treatments for maintenance.
How long will I see benefits?
This varies greatly between individuals. Some people will get months of benefit after only one treatment, some people won’t notice a difference at all, and most patients fall somewhere in between. This is why we recommend first consulting with Dr. Wheeler to come up with the best plan regarding how many treatments to start with.
Are there additional treatments that can maximize my results from MAH?
Yes!! Your nutritional status can play a major role in the results you see. There are a few different dietary protocols that Dr. Wheeler loves using with her patients, and she will be happy to discuss which one is right for you. Also, there are several nutritional and herbal supplements that can help provide the nutrients necessary to optimize cellular function. She is happy to discuss these with you as well.