Health Benefits of Spirulina
Spirulina is part of the cyanobacteria family of single-celled organisms called blue-green algae. It is one of the world’s most popular nutritional supplements, and can be found in a powder form which is easily incorporated into your daily routine! This algae is cultivated in freshwater or saltwater, which makes it different from other supplements on the market because most of those are cultivated in farms or fields. The water that it is grown in actually gives spirulina some of its unique healing properties.
Spirulina supports the following:
- Our spirulina is sourced from growers who rigorously test their water and products on a daily basis to make sure they are using growing practices which provide the best environment and produce the highest-quality products.
Spirulina is different from typical herbal supplements in that it is part of the cyanobacteria family of single-celled organisms called blue-green algae. This algae grows in fresh or salt water and is one of the world’s most popular nutritional supplements. Because it can be found in powder form it makes an easy addition to your daily routine.
Below are some of the amazing benefits of spirulina:
- It has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. This helps cells protect cell membranes, DNA, and proteins from excess damage associated with daily metabolic processes. It also supports cellular repair. Chemical components, called phytocyanins, combat free radicals in the body.
- It contains amino acids that aid in the assimilation of other nutrients, particularly those found in High Potency Multivites and Minerals. It also contains other naturally occurring phytonutrients that contribute to cellular health such as:
- Phycocyanin, Chlorophyll, Mixed Carotenoids, Polysaccharides, Sulfolipids, Gamma Linoleic Acid, SOD (Super Oxide Dismutase), Zeaxanthin, Isoleucine, Leucine, Lysine, Methionine, Phenylalanine, Threonine, Tryptophan, Valine, Alanine, Arginine, Aspartic Acid, Cystine, Glutamic Acid, Glycine, Histidine, Proline, Serine, Tyrosine
- It protects against anemia. It is very high in iron and helps the body produce red blood cells. Furthermore, it is a desirable substitute for people who simply can’t tolerate iron pills because of their well-known side effects of stomach upset or constipation.
- It can help balance cholesterol by lowering the “bad” cholesterol and triglycerides while raising the “good.” Its antioxidant capabilities help support the entire cardiovascular system.
- It supports eye health. Spirulina contains 15 times more beta carotene than carrots.
- It supports immunity. Our immune systems have two major parts. One part is for the front line defense, where the body will recognize invading pathogens and immediately attack using general mechanisms. The other is for specific immunity to specific pathogens via the production of antibodies (i.e. the antibodies that are formed when we receive immunizations). This production of antibodies takes time, hence the need for both lines of defense. Research shows that spirulina has the ability to support BOTH through various mechanisms.
- It supports brain health. Some of the biggest culprits associated with memory loss are increased free radicals and oxidation of the brain tissue and the accumulation of proteins called amyloid-beta proteins. Spirulina has the ability to lessen these sources of damage.
- It detoxifies heavy metals through a process called chelation. Chelation is the process whereby a substance essentially grabs onto a heavy metal and holds onto it. Certain plants have chelating abilities and spirulina is one of the most commonly used natural substances. Peer-reviewed studies have shown it to be effective in chelating and removing arsenic, mercury, lead and other heavy metals. It has also been shown to help remove radioactive substances from our bodies.
- Caution must be used in this regard. Because spirulina has an affinity for holding onto heavy metals it is of utmost importance that it is sourced from a company that grows it in pristine conditions free of pollutants and toxins. If it is grown in water polluted with herbicides, pesticides, or irradiation it can actually be carrying those things into YOU when ingested!
- Our spirulina is sourced from growers who rigorously test their water and products on a daily basis to make sure they are providing the best environments and growing practices, thus giving the highest quality available.
Inside-Out Beauty Membership Program
Explore the benefits of our Inside-Out Beauty Membership Program from Dr. Laramie Wheeler.
Inside-Out Beauty Membership Program
Dr. Laramie Wheeler explains how the Inside-Out Beauty Membership Program works, and which services are available to you.